<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3207116622901103255&amp;blogName=crewNeckTech&amp;publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_SFTP&amp;navbarType=BLACK&amp;layoutType=CLASSIC&amp;homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crewnecktech.com%2F&amp;searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Fblogsearch.google.com%2F" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="30px" width="100%" id="navbar-iframe" title="Blogger Navigation and Search"></iframe> <div></div>

About

"I am Jon Pierce, the crewNeckTech. I am employed full-time at Crossroads Community Church as the Technology Specialist. Fulfilling this title pretty much makes me in charge of anything with current flowing through it... This ranges from our 1 electronic stapler, to our 6 servers, to our 8 Rooftop HVAC units, and to our 64 input video switcher."

    Archives

    the dreaded BSOD Wednesday, August 13, 2008 |

    Blue Screen of Death... one of the most dreaded occurrences in any techs time at a computer. I can't imagine the fear/shock/lack of cardiac movement going on in the techs behind this highly unfortunate BSOD.

    As I mentioned in my previous post, Steve, my techie counterpart at crossroads was running a camera at a micky dolenz concert last Saturday night. This put me in charge of tech for the night as one of us is always around in the event of a tech emergency. (Everything is run by our excellent team of volunteers (9 per weekend!), Steve & I just watch over the flock and call important cues and lead the tech meeting). However this night turned out a little differently as our Senior Pastor (the speaking pastor for this weekend) was dealing with some really bad back pain. You can catch the deetz here, here, and here... To sum it up technically, we had a great recording (on DVD & a Final Cut Pro Recording) of Saturday nights' service, but we weren't sure if Tim would be able to push through it again on Sunday Morning.

    So... Saturday night after services were over, and a brief production meeting, I began to prepare for Sunday morning. Basically we had a great recording on both DVD and Final Cut, but we had a couple of minor CG mistakes that I knew I could clean up in post, and a couple of references to "evening" and "tonight" in the message I thought I could eliminate too (since it would be played the following morning). We've got an old G4 Graphite that we use strictly for recording purposes, but it's slow as molasses for anything else, so the first order of business was dumping the file off that old machine and over to an external drive to move back to my office's Quad Intel. Once it was loaded up in Final Cut Pro, I just had to drop in the graphics to cover up the mistakes, and slice and dice a couple of lines to reduce the night-time related references. After that, it was a full-quality quicktime export for DVD studio Pro, and a full-quality AVI export for our Inscriber INCA playback source. A DVD burn later, followed by a file transfer, and we were ready to go for the next morning, just in case.

    As it turned out, Tim was unable to preach and ended up in the ER due to the intesity of the pain. Thankfully, Steve took over the next morning, made a couple of changes to our lighting programming, and reviewed with the volunteers everything that was changing, and we were good to go.

    So, assuming we had a BSOD on our INCA, or a read error on our DVD player, or who knows what, we were well prepared with 2 sources of playback ready to go...

    Labels: , ,

    Shelby "Contributions Inquiry" Wednesday, August 6, 2008 |

    Wow, Found a real problem today. I was poking around Shelby EZ-View trying to find a nice easy way to export a vCard or something to jump into my Outlook contacts. So I was right-clicking here and there, and what did I find? Something called "Contributions Inquiry." Hmm... I thought, that's odd, I don't have rights to contributions. (I should know, I set the rights...) So looked up myself, and went for it. Bam! There it was, my contributions history. I dash into Shelby and log in as the system supervisor, check my "security group", and sure enough no rights at all to anything in the contributions module. Wanting to rectify this immediately, I give Shelby a call, and they quickly let me know about an option under membership and prospects entitled, "Contributions Inquiry"... So I zap those Inquiry rights from those two modules from that "group" and lo and behold the option for the inquiry is removed from my EZ-View.

    I hate to think how easily that could've turned into a big mess, but I am left with these 3 thoughts.
    1. I need to read more documentation.
    2. I need to try and "break" into the system more.
    3. Why would Shelby put contributions permission stuff in the other modules security sections? OR if it makes sense to them, maybe a link to it from the contributions module's security sections?
    Please note that these are in order, I have no doubt that if I was more careful in my setup I would've caught it before it had the ability to become an issue.

    By the way, the reference to security groups is really a little, fun poke because security groups don't exist, but there is an option called, "Set security equal to", and that's what I use for my "security groups." I create an "individual" with the name group combined with a name for the group, and set permissions for that "group" on those security settings. Then on actual individuals, I set their security permissions equal to that "group." Not beautiful, but it's certainly a lot easier to manage than 30 users permissions individually.

    Labels: , ,