<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener("load", function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3207116622901103255&amp;blogName=crewNeckTech&amp;publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_SFTP&amp;navbarType=BLACK&amp;layoutType=CLASSIC&amp;homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crewnecktech.com%2F&amp;searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Fblogsearch.google.com%2F" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="30px" width="100%" id="navbar-iframe" title="Blogger Navigation and Search"></iframe> <div></div>

About

"I am Jon Pierce, the crewNeckTech. I am employed full-time at Crossroads Community Church as the Technology Specialist. Fulfilling this title pretty much makes me in charge of anything with current flowing through it... This ranges from our 1 electronic stapler, to our 6 servers, to our 8 Rooftop HVAC units, and to our 64 input video switcher."

    Archives

    MS SQL calls

    Well, We're progressing in our CCB implementation.. On my team I've got Susie Fowler: data migration specialist, Carol Darling: implementation specialist, and of course still my awesome sales guy, Steve Caton... atwixt the three, I'd guess I've spent an average of 2 hours in communications back and forth per day over the course of the past week. Believe it or not, it's great fun for me to discuss implementation priorities, scheduling, data migration and future data strategy.

    Calling to attention data migration, I'm currently knee-deep in MS SQL statements in an attempt to pull out data from our current Shelby database and into a generic spreadsheet. For the most part all of these statements were setup for me and e-mailed to me from Susie Fowler. However, as I'm sure is always the case, we've got a couple of exceptions to the 'norm'. We stored item x, y, and z in section a instead of b. Also, we appear to be on a different version of Shelby than those calls were written for... Which pretty much means that I have to find and remap where those items are stored. So I get to figure out how to make b turn into a.

    I've gotten it mostly figured out at this point, however, I need to start weighing some time factors. For example, I know that we track "child-work-approved" status in our database currently by belonging to certain organizations in our org tree in shelby. I know that there are about 8 different organizations that indicate that approval. I also know that those organizations are based on 2 different organizational levels within shelby and therefore reside in two different relational tables to two different id tables for those level structures. On the other hand, I have a paper report sitting beside my desk that was run from Pam Ervin, Family Ministries Assistant. I know that this report is only about 300 names long... So is it quicker to find, modify, and check 300 cells in a spreadsheet or code the above conditions into a SQL statement to modify those cells for me?

    Probably, based on my knowledge level of the Shelby database structure and how I constantly try to code mySQL style in the MS SQL query box, it will be quicker to just modify the cells. The geek in me wants to take the time to figure it out... but there's just too much going on to justify the "pretty" solution.

    I'd love to say I spent the last 15 minutes writing this post prior to actually making the decision... but I didn't... I've probably blown 2 hours finding relevant Shelby tables and mapping appropriate SQL statements to pull it all together, but I feel like it's going to be another 4 or so till I get it just right... I know I can find, key in, check, and recheck 300 cells in less than 4 hours, so that's where I'm heading!

    Labels: ,

    You can leave your response or bookmark this post to del.icio.us by using the links below.
    Comment | Bookmark | Go to end